Friday, November 16, 2007

First Snow


Last night it started to snow. I was driving home from the car mechanic on dark country roads and I got the strangest sensation. The flakes were so big and because of the forward motion of the car it had a strange vertigo-like effect. I had to pull over because it made me feel sick to my stomach. It reminded me of that amusement park "ride" where you are in front of a huge screen and are sent flying through the air on a first-person perspective of a roller coaster. It always made me queasy because my eyes told the brain we were moving but the part of the ears that helps us balance was telling the brain we weren't moving. The end result-nausea. I took nancy's advice and didn't focus on what was straight ahead and just kept my eyes on the white line of the shoulder. Needless to say we made it home in one piece but it was really weird.

Anyway, here is a picture of the year's first snowfall (for those of us who live the in Groton and Ithaca area). Was just a dusting, but hey, it counts!

A note to Cameron - I bet you aren't missing Ithaca right now ;)

1 comment:

Simone said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean about the flakes and the strange effect it has. This happened to me when I first moved to Long Island and was driving in my first snowfall. So creepy!